Mar 29, 2017

Where Should I Be In Life?

(Source)

Where should I be in life?

Hmm... I am going to take a wild guess here and say that I am probably not the only person who asks myself this question, or something quite similar, often enough for it to be something constantly itching at the back of my head.

I find it extremely frustrating that I'm in my early twenties and I already find myself feeling like I missed my chance to make something of my life. And I know I am not alone.

I'm blaming that, on societies habit of burning expectations into our minds throughout our childhood and teen-hood, about what life should be after high school.

Although some still follow those expectations and are happy with the outcome, and live life day to day knowing that they are where they should be, some of us (many of us) haven't followed those set plans and don't know where to go from here.

Some of us didn't graduate high school and jump right into college because we knew what career path we wanted, and were ready to learn how to get there. Then there is also the some of us that did go right to college, not because we knew what we wanted but because we thought that we were supposed to, and it didn't last long.

And now many of us are left with a fear that everything we try, might take us back to this same place.


(Source)

We may not know where we want to go, but we know where we don't want to be.
We don't want to live nine to five workday lives. We don't want to come home from work, eat dinner, watch television, go to bed and then wake up the next day and repeat.

I am slowly discovering that this is okay.

 It is okay for me to not know what I want to be when I grow up at the ripe old age of 20. And oddly enough, I find that when I am talking to the ones who hounded me in my late teens trying to find out what I wanted to go to college for and what my plans were for the future, are the same people who, when I tell them I am still unsure of where exactly I am going, say to me "That's okay, you're still young!"

And they are right.

We are young.

We have so much life ahead of us. Like I said, this is something I am still learning. But, just because you haven't already had an abundance of success, doesn't mean you never will (read this article). So instead of stressing about maybe's and maybe not's, let's just live.

(Source)

I know I want to travel. That's the one thing that I know about myself. And I am going to try my hardest to do little things to get there. I wont make the huge decision of choosing a career and getting glued to that path for the rest of my life. For right now, I am going to do the things that I know make me happy.

I'm going to write more. I am going to start filming and editing videos even if I never post them anywhere. I am going to work and earn money so that I can travel. I am going to better my mental health. I am going to take more risks.

And I am confident that eventually, I will come across something that sparks a fire in me. Something that will bring happiness to my life, and that I will enjoy doing.

I don't care where I should be in life. All I care about is where I am now and working towards where ever the hell I am going.


Love Always,
Mari

No comments:

Post a Comment